A bunch of new eating establishments have been springing up near my work lately and I need to make it a point to try them. I hate when I put off going to a new place, and then it closes before I get the chance. Maybe reminding myself here in print will add some more incentive!
5. Farmstead 303 - I never got around to eating at the last restaurant in the rail depot, and they ended up closing. Coincidence? Probably. But I do hear good things about this new restaurant that grows some of its own veggies in a garden right there on the property.
4. New Orleans Cafe & Sno-Balls - Actually, I have sampled some of the yummy treats from this place, but I have yet to actually visit the business itself. It both excites and scares me to have such easy access to New Orleans-style Sno-Balls in the heat of summer!
3. Farm Burger - This restaurant's mission is to bring grass-fed, local (or at least regional) beef to Decatur. From what I hear, they do it quite deliciously. I'm anxious to try the sweet potato fries, too.
2. Garlic Thai - It seems like the last thing Decatur needed was yet another Thai restaurant, but I had a taste of a friend's take-out from this place, and I believe my exact words were "mmmm" and "yum." I see a workday lunch from there in my near future.
1. Decatur Diner - For months there's been a sign up at the corner of Church & E. Ponce announcing that a 24-hour Decatur Diner is "COMING SOON." When is "soon," huh?!? Diners are one of my favorite things in the world, and a 24-hour one would surely help Decatur liven up its night life. I can see that someone is working hard on the space, but still no word on an opening date. Quit teasing me, Decatur Diner! (Photo from Next Stop...Decatur)