As a pre-teen, one of my favorite activities on a rainy/snowy/otherwise miserable weekend (and we lived in upstate NY then, so there was no shortage of those), was to listen to the radio countdowns. Dick Clark or Casey Kasem or maybe Rick Dees would count down the most popular songs of the week and throw in a long-distance dedication or two, and I'd listen to it all while playing Go Fish with my brother or whatever. It was a nice little weekend ritual that I remember fondly from those years.
With this in mind, I'm instituting a new feature here at Stacyverb: the Weekend Countdown! In each installment of WC, I'll count down my top five picks in some particular category. For this inaugural WC, I'm turning to my original inspiration and offering a music-related countdown. So, without further ado, I bring you...
TOP FIVE SONGS CURRENTLY ON MY iTUNES
Five songs that may or may not be currently popular, that I personally can't seem to get enough of right now.
5. Bad Things (Theme Song From True Blood) - Jace Everett Last summer I spent many a blazing hot Saturday afternoon soaking up the AC and catching up on True Blood episodes on DVD. Now I'm jonesing for the new season to start, but until then, whenever I need a fix, I play this song to get me in the mood for the heat, the humidity, and the undead.
4. Lingering Still - She And Him She And Him Volume Two has kinda been my soundtrack for spring so far, and this song is my favorite. People either love Zooey's voice or hate it. I personally adore it, along with her great style. Those cotton commercials kill me. I totally want Zooey to be my celebrity gal pal, so we can go shopping together and stuff. Yes, I have an active imagination.
3. Bad Romance - Lady Gaga After some resistance, I stopped fighting it and embraced my love of Gaga. This song is fabulous for exercising, livening up a slow afternoon at work, or singing in the shower. Or sometimes, I boogie around the kitchen to it while enjoying my morning coffee and, um, try to do some of the dance moves from the video. Then I set a polar bear skin on fire! Just kidding.
2. Beethoven's Fifth Gold Digger (Kanye West vs. Beethoven vs. Walter Murphy) - A plus D This is probably my favorite mash-up ever. Two songs that were already great on their own, squished together and made into something even more awesome. Plus, in a way, wasn't "A Fifth of Beethoven" a mash-up of classical and disco in the first place? PLUS, it's kinda like Kanye is pulling a Kanye on Beethoven, which is so absurd it's hilarious. Even Adverb loves this one. Get down, girl, go 'head get down!
1. Never Forget You - Noisettes Ever since Noisettes popped up on one of my Pandora stations about a year ago, I've been hooked on their groovy mix of 60's soul/rock/post-punk music. This song makes me happy, that's all there is to it. It makes me want to play hooky from work with every BFF I've ever had and laugh in the sunshine all day. Whatcha drinkin'?